Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hospital Visit

Ok, here is the whole scoop. Tuesday, I picked up Ethan from daycare and he had a fever of 101.8. I thought, "Great! He's getting a cold! Poor baby just got over the flu." The rest of the evening went as planned and he went to sleep around 8pm. Around midnight, he woke up and was breathing really heavily so I stayed up with him, hoping that if I held him upright then he would breathe easier. His breathing got worse as the hours progressed and his chest started to retract. Jeremy and I both decided it was time to go to the hospital.

We went to the ER at LeBonheur Children's Hospital and found out that he was the 8th baby they had seen with this 'croupy' like breathing (come to find out that he was the winner had the worst case out of the bunch). I actually asked the triage nurse if we would be out in time for me to go to work at 7:15. She looked at me and said, "no way".

Anyways, when the doctor finally got to us, he looked at Ethan and said, "oh yea, we need to keep you." While we were watiting for a room, Ethan had another episode of stridor so they did what they call a soft tissue neck and found out that his throat was swollen and the doctor said that Ethan had to go to the ICU. He was offically diagnosed with croup/stridor.

We ended up staying in the ICU for about a day and a half and then as he got better we moved to another room that was less intensive care and more observation.

Long story short, Ethan is more than ok. It is like nothing even happened. I am so glad that he won't remember it and I wish that Jeremy and I could forget it too.

1 comment:

  1. The most frightening and helpless feeling for parents is when their child is sick, especially as sick as Ethan was. I'm so glad that you are all well and together in your own home. You both did a great job handling the situation and the experience will add to your toolbox of skills.

    ReplyDelete