Friday, March 12, 2010

It is Getting Warmer

I love this time of year, when you can keep your back door open and drive with the windows down, but I hate the necessary evils that come with the warmer temperatures. This is the time of year when I stop wearing all my long sleeved sweaters and switch to 3/4 sleeve or short sleeve tops. With wardrobe change comes stupid questions.
I have had psoriasis for 9 years now and currently my skin is looking quite amazing. I have large white patches from where the psoriasis used to be, but other than that, I am very happy with the quality of my skin. However, as a teacher I am exposed to preteens that ask a ton of questions. "Ew Mrs. Lapointe, what is that on your arms?" But what bothers me more are the adults that feel they can cure my psoriasis with Gold Bond cream or cocoa butter. Depending on my mood, I answer their questions (Is that bug bites? A rash? Eczema? Contagious? Burns?) in a variety of ways.
Sometimes I say I have herpes of the limbs, sometimes I say it is purposeful and art inspired tatoos, and I love looking at peoples faces when I tell them that they need to step away quickly because I am highly contagious. Sometimes I tell the truth, and explain the inner workings of psoriasis, but I have to admit it is much more fun to mess with people.
Then there are the people with the cures. I had no idea that everyone was a dermatologist. Had I known that, I would have saved a lot in copays over the years. I take it personally when someone suggest I use a gentle soap in the shower because I am a highly intelligent person and when I hear dumb things like that, I take it that they think I look stupid.
Of course, most times I try to be understanding, and I keep all these thoughts to myself. However, catch me on the wrong day, and you will be subject to the worst verbal abuse you have ever encountered.
Another perk of working in a school is that kids are frequently telling me that I am getting fat, my hips are spreading, I am getting shorter (I wear heels less), and 'you getting big'. My favorite was when an adult told me that when I stop walking, my belly is still moving. I said "I'm pregnant, that is why I am gaining weight. What is your excuse? Your child is 3 now, don't tell me it is baby weight." The look on her face was priceless.

2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard, I'm wheezing! See? More proof that pregnancy agrees with you, you're skin is better! I wondered how that was going to work for psoriasis. Herpes of the limbs, huh? ZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it like "OMG! I didn't see that! WTF IS that? It wasn't there just a couple hours ago!" then go running screaming down the hall that you have flesh eating bacteria.

    ReplyDelete