Friday, June 25, 2010

Article

I recently read an article that (in a nutshell) said that educated women are not bearing children at the rate that they used to. It called this phenomenon 'childlessness in educated women' and broke it down further by ethnic groups and ages. (If this were a paper in which I had to write, I would cite the article here but I lost the link so just trust me!)

I found this article to be fascinating. It stated that black and Hispanic women with college degrees are not having children and this is higher than any ethnic group. White educated women were found to be the group that thought children were most important to a healthy marriage.

I really took the time to read this article because I have often debated with myself about society's pressure to get an education and at the same time to marry and have children. Here I am, 26 (almost 27! Yuck!) and pregnant with my first child. This was the earliest I could ever imagine having a child because of the belief that I needed my education first plus at least two years of relevant work experience. I found it hard to balance my professional expectations for myself (pressured by society) and my desire to have a family.

The average age of women bearing their first child has risen over the years as well. I think what is happening is that women are trying to find a balance between having children at 16 (giving up all hopes for a career and pursuing higher education) and severe career dedication that does not support the 'American Dream' family. Think about Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City. Do we expect educated women to not have time for children? Shouldn't we want educated, successful and strong women to have the MOST children?

So interesting. If I could do my thesis on this subject, I just might. Unfortunately, I have to stick with a subject in the music education field but I'm sure I'll find something just as stimulating!

Also, someone leave me a comment because I haven't gotten any since I changed the layout of the blog. Shelley, I got your comment the other day but I deleted the post because it didn't say what I wanted it to say! Leave a comment so I know everything is working. Also, don't forget to click on all ads because I get a few cents every time you do! Diaper money.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning honey. I like the new look of the blog. It has a clean, crisp look and seems to be an easier read.

    I felt the societal pressure to return to a career even back when I had Jeremy. His Dad had given me the option to work or not, however I felt I could provide more for all of us if I returned to the working class. What a tough decision for a young mother to have to make!

    In response to your comment "Shouldn't we want educated, successful and strong women to have the MOST children?" MY answer is yes....and this is a lovely start..... :-)

    ReplyDelete